Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Catholicism: like onion rings? Stay with me here...

I must say before recording any other thoughts tonight, it has been 4 days since I have had a cup of coffee. I'm just saying this could very well determine the outcome of what you read here...

Onion rings are a funny food. I say this because so many people enjoy them, however they can't stand onions. I thought of this while I was out for dinner with a couple of friends tonight.  He ordered onion rings with his hamburger and as he did this, he made it very clear that he does NOT like onions. Normally, I would move on from something so simply stated, however he followed it up with this statement: "Onions are nasty. But, I feel like when they get fried, the nasty gets fried out of them." For some reason, I suddenly thought of Christianity and our Catholic faith in particular. I feel like we're all onions in a sense. I mean, just as we are, without the batter or the frying, we're kind of plain and just not all that well liked. But, when we are submerged into the grease (or our faith) and completely coated with the breading (Jesus in the Eucharist),  something happens to us. We are still an onion, but we are transformed into something else, much more bearable and enjoyable. This is seriously a CRAZY analogy. But, hey, it's late, and I am caffeine deprived. I want to state for clarity sake, I am not saying that if we follow this analogy, knowing that onion rings are bad for us, that our faith is bad for us too...so please don't misread that! Just read it for face value knowing that I have given up coffee, and part of my sanity this week.

My prayer for all your readers out there... if you drink coffee, keep drinking it, especially if stopping would make you write or say things like you have just read above. I promise the next post will have more sustenance than an onion ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment