Saturday, December 4, 2010

Shaking hands with Jesus...

Fact: Jesus lives in you and me, though many times we don't treat this as a truth. Really, we more often act as if it is just a matter of opinion, depending on the person. Today, I was reminded of this simple fact, despite human misconceptions of where Christ is and is not, as I walked around in San Francisco distributing coats, socks and other warm clothing to the homeless. Honestly, I was a little nervous about the trip for a few different reasons. 1. I went with another youth group, tagged on as a chaperone to help a friend out, so I hadn't met any of these kids before. 2. I had never gone out on the streets of San Francisco to do such a thing. Now, despite the anxiety I felt, I was also quite excited to go out and share Christ's love with each person we encountered. We left on the bus at eight o'clock this morning, ready to do God's work! Unfortunately, once we got there, with more than 20 trash bags full, it began to rain and it was difficult to find anyone on the streets in need of warm clothing because they were in essence trying to stay warm elsewhere.

The youth quickly became disheartened as they walked miles around looking to give to those in need. I continued to encourage them, trying to get them to go up and down side streets in hopes of finding someone who needed a coat. As we walked a few miles, tired from carrying the bags for over an hour already, we slowly started to hand out a few of the goods. When I gave the jackets to the men we encountered, I couldn't just walk away after they said thank you. I had to know their names, and something told me I needed to shake their hands. Who knows how long they go without the love and comfort of something as simple as human touch found in a handshake. So often they are looked down upon and very rarely given the same common courtesies we'd give anyone else.

Each one of them seemed so surprised when I reached out my hand, grasping theirs, and asking for their names. Their responses were not what I would have expected, because my ears heard one thing, while me heart heard another. When I heard Wayne, I was thinking Lamb of God because Wayne was such a gentle man, very grateful, very polite. Terry was more of a resurrected Christ Jesus, walking on the road to Emmaus, quickly coming, and quickly going, but not without sharing love. Chris, was much like Jesus on the mountain, all alone in a secluded area and he kept saying, "I love you, and I love God." And then there was Lionel. He reminded me of Jesus writing in the sand, as he was hunched over in a chair on the side of the street. As I shook the hand of each of these men, all I could think was that I was shaking hands with Jesus. It was a powerful experience.

From the long day in San Francisco, I came home to reflect on how I many times fail to recognize Christ in others and even more so I fail to bring Him to everyone without bias or exclusion. I was reminded of the story of Mary and her visitation to her cousin Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-55). Two very important things happened with that occurrence and they are quite telling of how we should all approach this world: Mary not only carries Jesus (literally in her womb) to Elizabeth, but Elizabeth quickly recognizes Jesus in her. We should all be so convicted to carry Christ to others like Mary, and so quickly see him in others, like Elizabeth.

And, so I pray for every reader, that our Lord rest in your heart, mind and soul, as you seek to bring Him more into your life, and carry Him into the lives of others. Remember that He will use you, and just as much use your brothers and sisters in Christ. With reckless abandon, and without bias, let us go out to love and serve one another. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment