Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sacrifice to Smiles

This is Jinlee-- she's a 3 year old missionary on base and brings me a lot of smiles.
I've been on mission in Haiti for 67 days now and one thing is for sure...I miss home. Because leaving home meant I had to make a lot of sacrifices and that's truthfully been quite uncomfortable and quite difficult.

I thought I would share at least some of those sacrifices, despite the common practice of most missionaries to avoid the topic, because after all, a large part of the Gospel is in fact about sacrifice. However, let me not set this up as a venting session about my "inconvenienced" time in Haiti (which is an entirely relative term), rather a time to also highlight many redemptions, because sacrifice, without redemption would be meaningless--just ask Jesus.
  1. Running water is not a guarantee here. And if we've got it, it isn't safe to drink.
  2. Ice... what is that again?
  3. I live on a base...all the time. No coffee shops, or grocery stores, or fast food, or driving to a friends house right down the street...ever.
  4. I live in community with about 30 other very different people--enough said.
  5. Rice, beans and chicken are on the menu...every.single.day.
  6. Sleep...what is that again?
  7. I sleep with, shower with, and just plain live with a lot of bugs--most of which look like they've been pumped with steroids.
  8. We have electricity for 5 hours a day...most of the time. Sometimes, not at all.
  9. It's hot...all the time. No seriously, I live in my sweat.
  10. Personal space is non existent.
  11. We start every morning with 2-3 hours of prayer...in a language I don't speak or understand.
Now, these are small sacrifices, but when added up, equal quite a bit of frustration and discomfort. But, that's why they're sacrifices, right. So, here is the beautiful thing about being here in Haiti. Despite these random 11 things that I chose to share, there are SO many more things that make me smile each day and remind me why I am here. Here are just a few things that have made me smile, quickly overshadowing the surely small sacrifices. 

  1. Three little boys asked me to air up their soccer ball so they could play on the base. Their joy over something so small lit up my heart.
  2. Watching the Haitian women dance and sing in the kitchen while cooking. Beautiful.
  3. Creatively communicating with someone I don't share a language with. Funny, and effective.
  4. Giving God the first fruits of my day...every day. Necessary and a gift.
  5. Having 30 other faithful, prayerful, people right next to me if I am struggling with something. 
  6. Making funny faces with/at the Haitian teens because we can't communicate and knowing that it's enough to build a relationship.
  7. Not constantly having a t.v., or computer, or phone, or electricity available actually allows for less distractions and more relational time. Amazing.
  8. Walking into a home and praying with a family I have never met, may never see again, but knowing that God is working and will continue to work beyond that moment.
  9. Only having to walk 2 minutes across the base to go to Mass, to get food, to clean clothes, or to go to the beach.
  10. Living on the base with a priest and having a chance to go to Confession anytime I want/need to.
  11. Being challenged in ways that I know will help lead me to Heaven.
  12. Little children at the orphanage literally playing with dried corn cobs... and totally happy.
  13. Having food to eat...every.single.day.
  14. Knowing that my small sacrifices can help bring others to Christ.
This list is clearly not exhaustive, but I hope shows some of the joy that is found in my time here in Haiti. As I write this, I even smile remembering that Mother Teresa, in all her wisdom, said "Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing." Today, I am smiling in my sacrifices so that I can love the people in Haiti even with cultural and language barriers. And, in two weeks, I will be smiling through sacrifices at home--because let's face it, in order to love, sacrifices must be made anywhere we are.











1 comment:

  1. I just fell in love with you !!!! Thanks for being real and honest. Its a beautiful thing to see beauty in redemptive suffering :) Being in Haiti with you was inspiring. I would have never known that you were dealing with those discomforts. Your yes to the Lord inspired me in so many ways, and its inspiring me to delight in suffering in communion with others :)

    ReplyDelete